Thursday, December 24, 2009

Just call me Bob (Cratchit)


When my co-teacher took the time to inform me of my working hours this winter 'break' (haha...cry) between calling travel agents and buying new bathing suits, I pointed to the 24th and exclaimed "Even on Christmas Eve?!"

It isn't just a coincidence that one of the best pieces of English literature is about a crabby old man who attempts to ruin Christmas for his worker and his family. My lord, the story has been told millions of times using stage, screen, clay, cartoon and even muppets. The name of the surly old man is thrown out to describe anyone displaying the slightest misanthropy. Tiny Tim. Tiny mothermaryinheaven Tim!

But no ghosts have visited my evil employer, not even the entire forest of spirits that died to provide her with various winter coats. It's not even like she doesn't know about Christmas. She claims to attend church every week, although the more I get to know her the more I suspect it may be the Church of Satan.

I don't even think you have to be religious to understand, though. I'm a heartless heathen and even my dead soul moves around a bit at this time of year. I know it's more of a Western holiday, I'm just saying that I don't try to get in the way of the Korean Chuseok tradition of sitting in traffic for 7 hours or the Korean Sollal tradition of sitting in traffic for 8 hours. Besides, if you're going to call yourself a Christian you should probably think about taking the day off to sing happy birthday to the guy your whole life philosophy and moral code is based on.

But who am I to judge? Like I said, I'm the non-believer going to hell.
Enter already being there joke here.

No comments:

Post a Comment